Saturday 13 August 2011

Apple Tarte Tatin

So I decided, well my hangover did for me really, that I'll pass on going to car show, and instead share the Tarte Tatin recipe.

We had a glut of windfall apples in our fridge, and a bag of puff pastry that had been delivered to us by mistake. A desert recipe was needed!

I believe this is Jamie Oliver but I can't quite remember now:

Ingredients:
5 or 6 eating apples, peeled and halved
100ml calvados (I used cooking brandy as I couldn't find any)
100g brown caster sugar (I used normal brown sugar)
1 vanilla pod
50g butter
Puff pastry

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 190c. Place an oven safe frying pan over a medium heat and add the sugar, calvados and the split, seeded vanilla pod.
2. Once the sugar has melted and the liquid is a caramel colour, add the apple halves and butter and cook gently.
3. As the apples start to go soft, place your rolled out pastry (5-10mm) over the pan, tucking in the edges and be careful of the hot caramel.
4. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
5. The fun bit, turning your tarte tatin out of the pan. Take a large, flat dinner plate and place it over the pastry. In one quick, fluid motion, turn the pan over so that the plate is underneath and gently shake until the pan and tarte are free. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

The second time I made this I cut the apples into crescents, thinking it would look nicer. However, the apples cooked easier and so turned to mush, and when it came to turning the tarte out, the topping slid everywhere!

As for puff pastry weights, we use a puff pastry mix which needs water and then endless folding, but if I had to guess I would say 200g of shop bought would be about right.

We joke in the kitchen about this recipe, it has rustic charm, meaning mine are a bit ugly at the moment. But it tastes bloody beautiful!

Sam x

No comments:

Post a Comment