Friday 6 January 2012

Stufato di Manza

I found this recipe while looking through Gino D'Campo's recipes online and it sounded really nice so decided to give it a try. We all like casserolly type meals and it is great for this time of the year. Plus I could whack it in the slow cooker for the afternoon. Again, I didn't take a photo - to be fair though, it is just a stew - so put in Gino's, I don't imagine he'll mind.

Serves 4

500g Lean braising steak ( I found a lovely pack of skirt near it's death by date in Waitrose)
75g Diced pancetta
1 Large onion - chopped
1 Large carrot - chopped
150g nice mushrooms ( I used chestnut )- sliced
3 Garlic cloves- chopped finely
150mls Red wine
400mls  Beef stock
1 Bay leaf
1 Sprig rosemary
Good squeeze of  tomato puree
1 tbsn olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to160c ( or hot slow cooker)
Heat oil in a largish frying pan and brown meat.
Transfer to casserole dish.
Using the same pan - yummy juices - fry onion, garlic and pancetta until soft and golden, add to dish.
De-glaze pan with a little water and add to dish.
Add all the other ingredients stir well and cover,.
I left my stew cooking all afternoon and only thickened with a little cornflour at the end, if cooking in a conventional oven, leave for at least a couple of hours until meat is lovely and tender.
You may need to add a little more water if the mixture seems to be drying out.


I served mine with polenta (more of that later! ) . This was a really lovely recipe and again so easy. The whole family loved it, even slightly meat avoiding teenager.

I have included a link to the original recipe as mine is slightly different to Gino's.

Debs

No comments:

Post a Comment