Saturday 25 February 2012

Beef Stroganoff

I have made this recipe a couple of times and it's always lovely. I don't like my stroganoff to contain loads of - what I consider to be - extra ingredients. Just let the flavours speak for themselves. There's a kind of purity in this recipe and the finished dish is perfect. Thanks to Rick for the photo as we ate ours rather too quickly.

Serves 4

675g / 1 1/2lbs   Fillet of beef
65g / 2 1/2oz unsalted butter
2 Tbspn Paprika ( hot or sweet )
1 Large onion very thinly sliced
350g / 12oz button mushrooms very thinly sliced
3 Tbspn sunflower oil
2 Tspn Lemon juice
300mls / 10oz soured cream
Small handful of chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste.

For the Matchstick potatoes:
450g / 1lb floury potatoes ( I used Maris piper)
Sunflower oil for deep frying

Cut the steak into 1cm strips ( Think kind of side of a matchbox size )
Cut the potatoes into matchsticks and keep to one side in very cold water until needed
Heat the oil for matchstick potatoes to 190c / 375f
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan, add paprika and onion and fry gently soft but not brown
Add mushrooms and fry for three minutes
Transfer to a plate and keep warm
Drain potatoes and dry thoroughly
Plunge potatoes into hot oil and fry for three minutes
Drain and keep hot in a low oven
Back in the frying pan, heat a couple of tablespoons of oil until nice and hot
Add half the steak and fry quickly, seasoning and turning as you do for about 1 minute.
Transfer to a plate and repeat with the rest of the steak
Return the onion mixture to the pan and add the soured cream, bring to the oil and simmer for a minute or so until nice and thick
Return the steak to the pan and cook for one minute
Stir in lemon juice and parsley and serve immediately with the matchstick potatoes.



I have to say that my photo would not have been a patch on this one - I'll post a home made photo next time!

My stroganoff was a bit more orangey as I used a little more paprika than Rick, this, I think, is a foolproof recipe. I'd quite forgotten how nice this dish is.

Thank you again Mr Stein

Debs

No comments:

Post a Comment